Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables, so I use them as my main ingredient in my roasted vegetables. This is a fall recipe using fresh Brussels sprouts on the stalk.
This recipe is very forgiving in that you can vary the amounts of each vegetable and the amount of olive oil that you use. It’s also very large which makes it perfect for filling freezer containers so you have them on-hand – I don’t like having to roast a new batch every time I want roasted vegetables!
These vegetables are a tasty addition to a bowl of rice.
Oven Roasted Vegetables – Brussels Sprouts
1 stalk Brussels sprouts, separated
1 pound mushrooms (half white button and portobello)
6 garlic cloves, cut in strips
4 tablespoons olive oil,divided
2 teaspoons dried basil
Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1) Remove Brussels sprouts from the stalk and wash. Wash the carrots and mushrooms.
2) Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a vary large bowl. Add the basil, salt, and pepper.
3) Cut the carrots in short strips; i.e. cut each section in 4 pieces. Add to bowl.
4) Cut the onions in half. Cut each half in half again and slice. Add to bowl.
5) Slice the mushrooms and add to the bowl.
6) Stir all the vegetables in the bowl to combine.
7) You will need 2 large jelly roll or cookie pans. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to each pan and spread out.
8) Add the vegetable mixture to the pans; 1/2 mixture in each.
9) Distribute the sliced garlic between the two pans.
10) Put the pans on 2 lower racks in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Move the upper pan to the lower rack and place the pan from the lower rack on the upper rack. Continue roasting for 10 minutes.
11) Check the vegetables with a fork to make sure they are cooked through. You don’t want them mushy and you don’t want them too hard. Remove from oven and cool to store.
Brussels sprouts and onions added to the bowl
Cut the carrots into thirds or fourths (depending on size) and then
slice each section into fourths
Slice the mushrooms and add to the bowl
I like to add a little more seasoning and stir to mix well
Slice the garlic and hold
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to each pan and spread it out
Pour half the vegetable mixture onto each pan. Spread the sliced garlic
between the two pans. Roast for 10 minutes then switch positions in the oven
and roast for 10 more minutes.
Roasted vegetables are done
Once cooled, I put the roasted vegetables in containers for the freezer
It’s really hard waiting for the roasted vegetables to come out of the oven… they smell so good! What’s your favorite vegetables to roast?
P.S. You can use fresh herbs such as rosemary or basil – just chop them up and add them to the bowl. I don’t really measure my herbs, so add as much as you like!
Follow me @RealVeganLife